01 June, 2012
09 April, 2012
04 March, 2012
I recently had it pointed out to me that I was involved in no less than 6 theatre projects in the space of 7 days. I think I may have taken the gluttony of Mardi Gras a step too far! In addition to a day of rest on this past Ash Wednesday, this merits a Spring 2012 newsletter.
1. Last Friday 2/24/12, Taste Better Wit staged my sketch of sibling rivalry reaching biblical proportions in KANO & ABE. Check out the newest SOMA black box theatre at 6th and Natoma for another showing of the script in June with TBW.
2. A party, a party! This one’s for Playground company, friends, and family. Booze, entertainment, mock-awards ceremony, and all the usual hob-nobbery. Saturday March 17th at the Swedish American Hall above Café Du Nord. $5 cover, no one turned away for lack of funds.
3. When you’ve sobered up from that, the final episode of playground-sf is up on March 19th. Topic announced on the 9th. I’ve managed a batting average of .400 this year, with selections in November’s O’Neill month (The Occupants) and January’s mini musical theatre month (Meet The Breeders, for which my cast and composer just recorded a demo).
4. My short techno-thriller, #CAIRO, will be satged in Kentucky by Bellarmine University from March 28th thru the 31st as part of the 2nd annual MadThematics Festival.
5. BattleStache Studios will be bringing my film and theatre work to an Oakland venue near you in April. More details as clandestine prep of the super-secret location is declassified.
6. 915 Cayuga Radio has a show on April 7th and a slot in the September Fringe Fest. Come ‘see’ my radio writing and and hear the foley of my alter-intern-ego, Ziggy the whistler, at Brava! And the Exit Theaterplex. It’s the most fully-featured $5 theatre show I know. AND I KNOW CHEAP THEATRE!
7. AlterTheater in San Rafael will feature excerpts of my full-length comedy comission, THE FELLOWSHIP, at an exclusive April salon for subscribers and board members. Stay tuned for details in case I can sneak some of you in.
8. Come ‘see’ my radio writing at the SF Fringe Fest! We've gotten some press up on the SFfringe.org and are presenting the best of our work at the Exit Theaterplex in September.
22 June, 2011
Hot Theatre for a Hot Summer
I'm traveling to NYC for 9 days to see a couple of shorts I have in a couple of festivals. Passenger: (a miniature microbial musical) at the Kraine and The Fellowship at Native Aliens. Both plays were developed for Playground-SF, the bay area's largest new play developmental organization, and home to some of the finest writers I ever had the pleasure of competing with.
Passenger runs in Program 4 of Endtimes: 6/10 at 8, 6/16 at 6:30, 6/20 at 8:30, 6/25 at 3:30, 6/28 at 6:30, 7/1 at 8, and 7/3 at 6
And for this weekend only, the Fellowship brings a dose of SF Pride to the Native Alien's Pride festival at the Access Theatre.
It's going to be a brilliant June - I'll have to do my best to make July and August measure up to the bar!
26 May, 2011
Jumping in June
In early June I’m writing 1 page plays for $2 a pop for the conceptual market street art gathering, The Cries of San Francisco on the 4th of June. As the Scribbler, I'll solicit starting lines from passers-by, and write a one-page play for the laughable sum of $2. Chalk this up to the age-old artistic principle of: "getting noticed and paid to do what you're already doing anyway".
For training, I've begun the free Fast15 playwriting exercise on my Ignacio Onstage fanpage. Chalk it up to the age-old mercantile tradition of: "the first hit's always free."
Later this June...
Mid June I’m traveling to NYC for 9 days to see a couple of shorts I have in a couple of festivals.
I'm seeing Passenger at the Kraine and The Fellowship at Native Aliens.
Passnger runs in Program 4 of Endtimes: 6/10 at 8, 6/16 at 6:30, 6/20 at 8:30, 6/25 at 3:30, 6/28 at 6:30, 7/1 at 8, and 7/3 at 6
Finally, closer to year's end:
Bindlestiff reopens in SF and features a one-act I wrote for their writing workshop – that one-act might also be featured at a fundraiser for ACPA in Oakland on June 19th.
20 May, 2011
Rules of Playfulness:
1 • You come to this page and Like it.
1A • existing fans may send referrals to Like the page, and in return, get to suggest a prop, an action, or a setting that I have to incorporate into the new fan's play.
2 • You (the new fan) post your opening line of dialogue on this wall, w/ or w/o a character name.
3 • I title each play after you.
4 • I write the next 14 lines, in real time, in the comments beneath your opening line.
5 • We put responses at the end of each play, starting at line 16 and onwards.
6 • We tell others to steal this and try it themselves.
7 • FAST15 GO!!!